Founded in 1950, Doctors with Africa CUAMM has been the first non-government organization focused on healthcare recognized by the Italian government.
This decade saw the beginnings of country programs and bilateral agreements between the Italian government and countries such as Uganda, Tanzania and Mozambique.
Doctors with Africa CUAMM had grown over time. There was now a need to find ways to become self-financing, and to let more people know about the organization and its objective: making free health care available and accessible to the world’s poorest.
The 1960s was a pivotal period in twentieth-century history, one that influenced people everywhere, including CUAMM’s doctors and the way they envisioned their work.
Doctors with Africa CUAMM’s journey continues, in our quest to make free healthcare available and accessible to the communities we serve abroad.
Formerly known as the University College for Aspiring Missionary Doctors, Doctors with Africa CUAMM was founded in 1950 by Francesco Canova, previously a missionary doctor in Jordan. Monsignor Girolamo Bortignon, the Bishop of Padua, immediately lent his support to Canova and the project.
The intervention of Doctors with Africa CUAMM in Uganda started in 1958. It has been a long work, that still goes on, for the health of all the population, but in particular for mothers and children.
Doctors with Africa CUAMM has been working in Tanzania since 1968. During several years of intervention, the organisation had to fight against HIV/AIDS, malaria and malnutrition. Today the project "Mothers and children first" aims to guarantee free access to health services for future mothers and their babies.
Following its autonomy in 2011, a profound political crisis broke out in South Sudan at the end of 2013: Doctors with Africa CUAMM never left le country.
The history of Doctors with Africa Cuamm in Sierra Leone is not so long: it began in 2012, but in 2014 the physicians had to face with the biggest Ebola epidemic ever seen.