Founded in 1950, Doctors with Africa CUAMM has been the first non-government organization focused on healthcare recognized by the Italian government.
This decade saw the beginnings of country programs and bilateral agreements between the Italian government and countries such as Uganda, Tanzania and Mozambique.
Doctors with Africa CUAMM had grown over time. There was now a need to find ways to become self-financing, and to let more people know about the organization and its objective: making free health care available and accessible to the world’s poorest.
The 1960s was a pivotal period in twentieth-century history, one that influenced people everywhere, including CUAMM’s doctors and the way they envisioned their work.
Doctors with Africa CUAMM’s journey continues, in our quest to make free healthcare available and accessible to the communities we serve abroad.
Formerly known as the University College for Aspiring Missionary Doctors, Doctors with Africa CUAMM was founded in 1950 by Francesco Canova, previously a missionary doctor in Jordan. Monsignor Girolamo Bortignon, the Bishop of Padua, immediately lent his support to Canova and the project.
Don Luigi was a man of great intellectual stature, with an extraordinary ability to reconcile prophecy and realism. He was a strong leader and especially a teacher of life for everybody. In 1955 he took up the challenge of leading the Cuamm, working with dedication, commitment and with the tendency to seek more the positive than the negative in every person and in every events.